May 27, 2015

Beauty essentials



I'm fairly minimal when it comes to my makeup routine. If I were only allowed two products in my life, they'd definitely be some sort of eyebrow pencil and an eyelash curler. In fact, I won't ever leave my apartment without at least applying those two things. But since I'm not actually limited to that, I allow myself a few more products. These eight are a mix of current and long-time favorites.



Tom Ford Brow Sculptor – I've tried my fair share of brow pencils, but I always return to this one as my holy grail. Maybe for the shape and hardness of the applicator. It's not cheap (especially at the rate I go through these things) but I feel like good brows help frame the rest of my face and makeup.

Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler – I've been using this curler since I was, like, 18. It lets me get super close to my eyelash base and never jams my lashes or yanks them out, like other ones I've experimented with. My natural lashes stick straight down, so this product is a godsend.

RMS "Un" Cover-Up (Shade 22) – I was on a total makeup ban when I bought this, but when the founder, Rose-Marie Swift, herself is manning her counter at ABC Home, you get the hell off your ban and listen to what she says. This is probably the first concealer I've ever bought. I just was always too lazy to deal with concealing, or I felt like it didn't actually do the job. What I love about this is that it's lightweight and can practically be used as a foundation. It also blends super easily.

Tom Ford Lipstick in 'Flame' – When I want to feel just a little extra fancy, I reach for this fail-proof fiery orange-ish red. It has a nice matte finish too, without feeling dry. And I'm always shocked after a whole meal with drinking and all that the product is still on my lips!

Benefit 'They're Real' Mascara – Again, I have experimented for years with other brands and much fancier, pricier mascaras. There was a point in my life where I didn't have to actually buy mascara for as long as I can remember because I got so many samples from just being a loyal Sephora shopper and redeeming points. When I do finally have to buy it, it's always this guy. It doesn't run even when I bawl my eyes out and it gives my lashes great volume without weighing me down.

Anastasia Clear Brow Gel – Of course, I now have to set my brows after treating them to the brow sculptor. I've found that this gel makes the brow pencil last much longer, especially on sweaty days. In a wonderful coincidence recently, I was just about to have to replace my last one and it happened to be in an amazing package the kind folks at Tieks sent over.

Tom Ford Fleur de Portofino – I'm not one of those ladies who has a signature scent quite yet. I like having fun with many scents depending on my mood and the season. This is the scent I'll be wearing all summer long, for sure. Now if only it could actually transport me to the Italian Riviera...

RMS Living Luminizer – Naturally I picked this up on the same trip as the concealer. I instantly just feel a little bit prettier when I put this on. I mostly dab it on the high part of my cheekbones, but you can use it in so many places to highlight. It gives my skin a glow without making me feel glittery. Another huge perk of RMS products are that their compact sizes make them particularly travel-friendly. Highly recommend! Also sold here and here.

Whenever I travel and have to edit down all my products to fit in a small dopp kit, you can bet all of these are coming with me (though I'll probably opt for a travel-size of the perfume to save space). I'll likely do another post in this series of my long-time skincare favorites, though that's a bit trickier since I'm always trying new things.

12 comments :

  1. looking fwd to your post about skincare, not just currently, but when the seasons change (if your regimen changes..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That qualifies as "fairly minimal"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benefit They're Real is such a staple. That and the Shue Uemura eyelash curler are a match made in heaven

    Rachel | www.currentlyrachel.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. RMS products sounds amazing!

    Sophia / sophiebysophia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! I'm into very minimal makeup myself but I feel you with that concealer. Still trying to find the perfect one for my dark circles ughhh

    Jihada- www.polkadottedpants.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do a post on your lipstick collection, skin care routine, and some staple bath and body products too - because you have impeccable taste and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post doll! I use the Benefits mascara and I'm obsessed with it!

    Best,

    Gigi B

    Songsinthekeyofg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The RMS products are awesome! I love the living luminizer.

    www.tlzau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picks. Each one seriously made me want summer to get here already, weirdly enough :D RMS is definitely on my list. All I really wear to cover up any redness is concealer, so theirs really sounds wonderful.

    Sofia | palelily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janice / twoaftertwentyJune 13, 2015 at 9:41 PM

    Yay! I loved this post Alice! It's also great to see that you love Benefit's They're Real! - I work in marketing for their Canadian team :)

    ReplyDelete